Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Our Next Home Will Be a Rambler...


When we were looking for a home to buy, HeRoos was insistent on a two story house. My preference was a rambler because I was sick of carrying laundry up and down the stairs and later walking up & down the stairs with broken bones. He got his way but he has since paid for it.

At 6am he heard the dump truck and remembered that the trash can was still in our driveway so he ran down the stairs...and fell. I heard a big thud and a scream so I got out of bed and raced down to find him sprawled out on the steps. He asked for a pillow and then passed out. I kept calling his name with no response. Finally (it was only moments but seemed much longer) he let out a weird snoring noise. I woke him up and he acted confused. He pointed at me and said, "NO!No!" That's when I couldn't help but laugh (because that's what I do in stressful situations) and he snapped out of it. His face was pale and green and he didn't feel well. I got him some food and cancelled his dental appointment.

Later he felt well enough to get on the computer for work so I took the kids to a friend's house. While I was there, I told my friend who is a nurse what happened. She was concerned and reminded me about Natasha Richardson who died after a head injury from skiing. Scary! My mom came to our rescue to watch the kids while I took HeRoos to the ER. Since it was a head injury, HeRoos was pushed to the front of a very long line.

If you recall this experience, you know that this isn't the first (or second) time HeRoos has crashed down the stairs.

After being examined, we were relieved to find out he had a mild concussion and bruised back muscles. I probably didn't need to talk him into going to the ER but now I have peace of mind and won't sleep with one eye open making sure he's ok.

8 comments:

Mike and Gin said...

Oh My Heck!
(Love to use that Utah phrase)

That just stinks. Tell him no more running on the stairs.

Feel Better Soon Rick!

Nichole said...

Wow, scary!! I am glad your hubby is okay.

Karolee said...

That is scary! and this is the first I heard of your past accident. Yikes! I hope you guys have good insurance. ;-)

porterpies said...

Oh my goodness! Glad he's alright. You shouldn't be so funny in your narrating the events. I found myself laughing. But I guess that's ok since he's ok.

Jodi said...

My husband works in the ER and he said you absolutely made the right choice!! Any blacking out due to a thud to the head is a concussion and needs to be treated as a serious situation, which is why they moved you to the front of the line. I'm so glad you are such a good wife and talked him into going!!

Grandma Beaner said...

So sorry for Rick. Hope he's feeling better soon. Some stairs are extra tricky, and it doesn't help when you're half asleep trying to maneuver them.

Lifes Great Adventures said...

I am glad HeRoos is ok, scary! Me & the stairs aren't friends either! Our last house I fell down the stairs too many times!!

Rookie Dad said...

What some guys won't do for a back massage!

Hope Rick is feeling better soon (and that you install a child gate at the top of the stairs for him).